On the hunt for a new camping tarp? Well look no further. We have some of the very best camping tarp for your next adventure. A camping tarp is a versatile piece of equipment for you to create a shelter that meets your needs. We have camping tarp from a variety of brands including Sierra Designs, Mountainsmith, PreTents and Terra Nova.
Survive the elements with camping tarp, which can give you a layer of protection against some of the most extreme weather conditions. Lightweight camping tarp is a practical item for any trip or expedition due to its ability to be compacted and stored for ease of use and portability.
Need some more advice before your next adventure? Check out our blogs to find out more information or contact us directly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should you put a tarp over your tent?
A tent tarp over your tent will provide additional protection from the sun, wind, and rain. However, before you set it up, you may need to consider these factors first:
1. Ventilation: Adequate ventilation is a must to prevent condensation, which will produce moisture-related issues in your tent. To avoid such a thing from happening, leave sufficient space for air to circulate when you decide to cover the tent with a tent tarp.
2. Weight: Bringing a tent tarp will add weight to whatever you are already bringing. Ensure that your equipment is not overwhelmingly heavy because it will become a serious struggle, especially when hiking or backpacking.
3. Anchoring: Make use of stakes or guy lines to make it secure and avoid the situation where it will flap in the wind or collapse when it is snowing or raining.
A tent tarp is a great way to extend your tent's lifespan and provide additional protection. Nevertheless, be reminded to consider factors like proper ventilation, lightness of your gear, and anchoring before using these tarps.
What is tent tarp called?
Tent tarps also have different terms that people call. The terms "groundsheet" and "tent footprint" are also frequently used, aside from calling it a tent tarp. It is a protective layer covering the tent to further protect against abrasion, moisture, and punctures. They are usually made of light yet durable materials like nylon or polyester. Furthermore, its size is a tad bit smaller than the tent floor to prevent it from collecting rainwater when it rains. Regardless of whether you have a tent, it can still be used on its own to cover the ground or serve as your lightweight shelter.
What does a tarp do for a tent?
There are many things that tent tarps can provide benefit to a tent. Below are some purposes that can be used on a tent:
1. Protection from rain: The tarp can be placed above the tent, which serves as a roof to provide additional protection whenever it rains and prevent water from dripping on the tent's fabric.
2. Additional shade: Aside from the protection from the rain, a tarp can also be used as a shade for your tent. It is very beneficial during hot and sunny environments since it reduces the sunlight entering the tent and makes the inside a bit cooler and more comfortable.
3. Ground protection: Ground protection is also a feature that tent tarps provide, as it prevents the floor from getting damaged by moisture, sharp objects, or any other hazards.
4. Extra living space: If you do not have enough space inside your tent, a tarp can be your solution to provide you with the extra living space you need. The extra space it gives can become a place for you to eat, cook, or lounge during your trips.
To sum it up, tent tarps can be used for various reasons, such as protecting against the rain, shade from the harsh sun rays, ground protection, and additional living space to make your camping trip more comfortable and enjoyable.
What size tarp is best for a tarp tent?
There are several factors to consider that will dictate the suitable size of tarp you will need. The tent's size, shape, desired level of coverage, and the weather conditions of the place will all matter in finding the best size of tarp you need to purchase. Using the usual principle in buying tarps, the one you should be buying must be a few feet larger on all sides so that it is big enough to cover the tent from rainfall.
When selecting a tarp as a way to add protection to your tent, remember the following factors:
1. Shape and size of the tent: The tarp should be larger than the tent to guarantee that it can cover the tent.
2. Desired level of coverage: The ideal coverage level will depend on the weather conditions in the area you are camping. Whenever there are heavy rains or strong winds, a larger tarp is a better choice as it has more extensive coverage, so the tent does not drip any water.
3. Material and weight: It is essential to check the weight and materials of the tarp you are planning to buy. Although heavier tarps are likely to provide better protection, they might also be harder to carry and set up since it is made from strong and heavy materials.
In general, many tarp tent configurations usually use a tarp that measures around 8'x10' (2.4m x 3m) or larger. Despite the presence of the typical tarp tent size, it is necessary to check the size of your tent first as well as your needs in camping to purchase the right size of tarp tent best-fitted to your needs and preferences.